I am currently a Ph.D. student at EPFL advised by prof.Antoine Bosselut at the NLP lab and a Research Assistant at IDIAP supervised by prof.Lonneke van der Plas at the Computation, Cognition and Language group.
Previously, I completed my MSc. in Data Science at EPFL where I did research on commonsense reasoning. In the past, I have been a software/ML engineer, co-founder/entrepreneur and have 5+ years of experience in areas ranging from semiconductors to AI. I am also a proud University of Waterloo alumnus where I finished my Bachelor’s in Computer Science.
My interests broadly lie within the nature of robust artificial intelligence, language, cognitive science and mind. Currently, my research focuses on computational creativity. I am in addition exploring neurosymbolic AI, reasoning, compositionality, abstraction/analogy, linguistically motivated NLP and knowledge-driven, cognitive-model-based AI.
CRoW: Benchmarking Commonsense Reasoning in Real-World Tasks
REFINER: Reasoning Feedback on Intermediate Representations
kogito: A Commonsense Knowledge Inference Toolkit.
EACL System Demonstrations Track, 2023
[paper] [code] [docs]
- Ph.D in Computer Science. EPFL. Lausanne, Switzerland. 2023-Present.
- Master’s in Data Science. EPFL. Lausanne, Switzerland. 2021-2023.
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science. University of Waterloo. Waterloo, Canada. 2012-2016.
- Research Assistant. IDIAP. Martigny, Switzerland. 2023-Present.
- Research Assistant. Artificial Intelligence Lab. EPFL. Fall 2022.
- Research Intern. Sony Inc. Tokyo, Japan. Summer 2022.
- Student Teaching Assistant. Modern NLP. EPFL. Spring 2023.
- Student Teaching Assistant. Applied Data Analysis. EPFL. Fall 2022
- Software/ML Engineer. integrate.ai. Toronto, Canada. 2019-2021
- Co-founder/CTO. Destin AI. Toronto, Canada. 2017-2019.
- Software Engineer. Bluecat Networks. Toronto, Canada. 2017-2018.
- Software Engineer. Cisco Systems. Ottawa, Canada. 2016-2017.
- Software Engineer Intern. Freescale Semiconductors. Ottawa, Canada. Summer 2015.
- Software Developer Intern. TD Securities. Toronto, Canada. Summer 2014.
- Software Developer Intern. Azercell MMC. Baku, Azerbaijan. Summer 2013.
- Parrot. Educational toolkit for interaction with OpenAI models. [code]
- Mini-Pytorch. From scratch implementation of (mini) pytorch autograd and several core modules. [code]
- Words and Personalities. Personality analysis based on quotes. [demo] [code]
- Differentially Private Random Forest Classifier. [code]
- From Words to Vectors. Towards Data Science. Medium. [link]
In my free time, I like to read, bike, play piano and watch (usually long) international art films.
- mismayilza [at] gmail [dot] com